Talent Pool: Simon Martin, Group Art Director, LondonFebruary 8th, 2017
1. What does the Group Art Director in London do?
I oversee all visual creative that Bookmark outputs for Tesco.
2. Have you learned something at your job that completely surprised you?
It always surprises me how quickly mountains become molehills when everyone pitches in. Never stress till mid-afternoon.
3. What is the one thing your colleagues probably don’t know about you?
That I was the Weakest Link. A get-rich-fast-plan that failed drastically!
4. What’s your favorite project that you’ve worked on since you started here?
Tesco Beauty. Focussing solely on social media means the turn-over of content has to be fast. I have to be extremely hands-on, often shooting, styling or illustrating myself – which is demanding but great fun.
5. In your opinion, what makes for good content?
Anything that makes you stop, think twice and provokes a reaction.
6. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Teach my four-year-old bad habits.
7. What’s the last thing you read/saw that inspired you?
I received Taste: The Infographic Book of Food by Laura Rowe, for Christmas. It’s brilliantly and beautifully executed.
8. What are your top 5 must-see destinations?
– Varanasi in India for a full sensory overload.
– Kathmandu for ancient otherworldliness.
– Venice for sheer uniqueness (I am selectively forgetting about all the other tourists).
– Bondi Beach where so many memories and great friends remain.
– London for amazing, ever-changing restaurants.
9. What’s the best-kept secret in the neighborhood?
The upstairs at The Bridge pub in Shoreditch. It’s Dickens meets your grandma’s house, but always super-friendly and an antidote to all the hipster hangouts. Plus, who doesn’t like complimentary Bombay Mix?!
10. What is the one piece of advice that has helped you the most since you started working in this industry?
I don’t do this enough but, “Never underestimate the power of a walk round the block.”